Mr. Garrett is founder of ACR International, Inc., specializing in financial advisory and valuations for mergers, acquisitions, bankruptcies, estate & gift tax and ESOP's. His expertise is in the valuation of business enterprises, intangible assets, intellectual property, and financial securities including various types of equity and debt instruments. He has performed forensic valuation work for several court cases including economic damage assessment, solvency analysis, and going concern value. Mr. Garrett has testified as an expert witness in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and arbitration proceedings under the guidelines of the American Arbitration Association.
From 1996 to 1998, Mr. Garrett was Director of Lending and Entrepreneurial Training for the Adirondack Economic Development Corporation where he was responsible for managing the department. From 1990 to 1993, Mr. Garrett was a Senior Advisor at COMSAT Corporation where he provided direct support to the company's senior management on valuing acquisition targets and many other corporate finance issues which ranged from valuing financial securities, setting dividend policy and reviewing senior management compensation practices. From 1989 to 1990, Mr. Garrett was an Associate at MNC Investment Bank, LTD where he was involved in providing financial advisory services to middle-market firms in the areas of mergers, acquisitions, private placements and valuations. From 1987 to 1989, Mr. Garrett was Director of Finance for Medical Services Corporation International (MSCI), a firm providing health care services to third world countries. From 1984 to 1987, Mr. Garrett was a Senior Financial Analyst for the RCA Corporation.
- MBA - George Washington University, 1989
- BBA Finance - Temple University, 1984
- Certified Business Appraiser
- Institute of Business Appraisers
- Expert witness - US Bankruptcy Court
- Expert witness - American Arbitration Association
Mr. Garrett conducted the following training seminars
- March, 1999 - "Business Valuations for Bankruptcy Circumstances". Presented to the Capital Region Bankruptcy Bar Association. Special topic: Intellectual Property
- April, 1999 - "Business Valuations for Taxable Transactions". Presented to the Boston Bar Association's Federal Tax and Business Transactions Committee. Special topic: Intellectual Property
- June, 1999 - "Business Valuations-Overview". Presented to the law firm of Lucash, Gesmer & Updegrove, LLP. Boston, MA
- November, 1999 - "Business Valuations-Overview". Presented to the law firm of Whiteman, Osterman and Hanna, LLP. Albany, NY
- November, 2000 - "Business Valuation" SmartStart, Science and Technology Law Center. Panelist
Ray Thomas is Principal at ACR International, Inc. and applies industry expertise to provide financial advisory and valuation services to ACR clients. He brings high level knowledge in evaluating government contractors, assessing their risk profiles, revenue stream and recovery, cost accounting compliance and procurement assessment. He has held numerous senior level positions in Finance, Acquisitions, and General Management. Mr. Thomas focuses on government contractors operating within several industries including: information technology; satellite communications, and; telecommunications. He has solved problems as an auditor, consultant, and senior manager. He has directed large administrative functions including finance, accounting, contracts, sub-contracts, business development, small business office, systems development, planning and forecasting, audit liaison, purchasing, and a number of other functions.
Additionally, Mr. Thomas has had full general management responsibility for a several large organizations. During his career he has held the following positions.
- Controller, Booz, Allen, Hamilton
- Vice President of Finance and Administration, Comsat Systems Division
- Group Vice President, Comsat RSI
- President, Comsat RSI
- Senior Vice President, Telcordia
- Senior Vice President, SAIC
- Director of Sourcing and Solutions, Booz, Allen, Hamilton
- Auditor, Defense Contract Audit Agency
- Consultant, Peat, Marwick, Mitchell
Mr. Thomas is a subject matter expert in many areas of government contracting and administrative infrastructure, including:
- Accounting for government contracts
- Government contract accounting systems
- DCAA audit support
- CPSR audit support
- Pricing strategy
- Planning and forecasting
Through his management and management advisory activities, he has been involved in numerous valuation projects and valuation activities relative to Merger and Acquisition (M&A) pursuits.